The Facilities Management service at Cambridge University Hospitals provides a wide range of services covering estates and hotel services functions.
It includes responsibility for:
- Maintenance of grounds, building, electrical, mechanical and engineering installations
- Energy management
- Voice telecommunications, including the Switchboard and Main Reception
- Access – ID, travel information and business travel services
- Postal services
- Laundry services
- Waste disposal and incineration
- Design of new works, small and large
- Contract management for car parking, domestic services and catering
There are many administrative based roles within these areas, as well as roles which require specific training and qualifications.
CUH currently has two main apprenticeship types in place in this area; these are:
- Carpentry and Joinery
- Plumbing There are plans to expand these offers in future.
Application: For all current vacancies, please see current vacancies and click on Support Services or Apprenticeships.
Apprenticeships with Estates and Facilities
Carpentry and Joinery
These roles involve carrying out skilled work, primarily using timber products in a workshop, creating and installing building components.
On completion of this apprenticeship, carpentry and joinery workers will be able to:
- Work safely and be aware of key health, safety and welfare issues
- Plan and carry out their work to commercial standards of quality and speed
- Move, handle and store resources, such as materials and timber components, complying with relevant legislation and guidance
- Interpret and follow verbal and written work instructions from trade supervisors and site managers
- Select the required materials to carry out the work, such as correct timber, tools and fixings
- Access, interpret and use drawings and specifications to carry out their work
Carpentry and Joinery (Level 2) Apprenticeship
18 to 24 months
This apprenticeship and role may be advertised externally on an ad-hoc basis when there is a vacancy.
Carpentry and Joinery Apprenticeship (Level 3)
This apprenticeship tends to be offered internally for career progression to existing staff.
This apprenticeship will include skills and knowledge that will enable individuals to be able to function efficiently within planning, selecting, installing, servicing, commissioning and maintaining all aspects of plumbing and heating systems. As a competent Plumbing and Heating Technician, the installation of plumbing and heating systems includes accurate measuring, marking, cutting, bending and jointing metallic and non-metallic pipework. It essential to have professionals who can undertake this work within the large hospital site.
Plumbing and Heating Technician (Level 3)
This apprenticeship is offered to existing staff.